Whether it’s your first time writing the Google Ads exams or you need to recap the annual renewal of your certificate, working through Google’s study materials can be a drag. The prospect of sitting in front of your computer for hours on end, reading through dense technical information and completing multiple choice quizzes can seem daunting.
However, with the right approach and mindset, preparing for Google Ads certification can be a much smoother process than you may think.
Why Should You Get Certified?
Many people wonder if it is worth their time and effort to obtain a Google Ads certification in South Africa. The answer is yes! Aside from creating better, more powerful ads on Google, this certification can give you a competitive edge in the job market. You can add this to your resume and LinkedIn profile, making yourself more attractive to employers looking for digital marketing experts.
How To Prepare For A Google Ads Certification In South Africa
If you want to prepare for a Google Ads Certification in South Africa without sitting for hours, you must implement an efficient study plan.
Below are some tips on how to achieve this:
Select The Google Ads Certification You Want
Google has a variety of Google Ads Certifications, each one specialising in a particular area of digital marketing.
Here is a list of Google Ads Certifications you can choose from:
- Google Ads – Measurement Certification
- Google Ads Search Professional Certification
- AI-Powered Performance Ads Certification
- Google Ads Creative Certification
- Grow Offline Sales Certification
- Google Ads Search Certification
- Google Ads Display Certification
- AI-Powered Shopping Ads Certification
- Google Ads Video Certification
- Google Ads Apps Certification
Know Your Strengths And Weaknesses Before You Start
There are various resources out there that can teach you how to pass the exams, but if you don’t know which learning style suits you, you’ll likely end up wasting your time. So take a quick learning style quiz if you have no idea which style suits you, and include this in your study plan.
A few different learning styles include:
- Spatial/visual learning
- Kinesthetic/physical learning
- Social/verbal learning vs Solitary learning
How to prepare for the exam if you are a visual/spatial learner
According to Atlassian, research found that 65% of the general population are visual learners. This means that graphics, diagrams, or videos can be the perfect way to memorise information. A good way to prepare for Google Ads certification in this scenario is to make use of the official “refresher course videos” that Google publishes every two years. Or watch YouTube videos of known Google Ads experts.
How to prepare for the exam if you are a kinesthetic/physical learner
If you are someone who learns by doing, use Google Ads to create your own demo campaign and test out different ad formats. The hands-on experience will go a long way in preparing for the exam.
How to prepare for the exam if you are a social/verbal learner
Depending on the demand, Google presents official classes at their local head office once or twice a year. These sessions are free and are presented by local agency experts who can give you a couple of tips that have helped their clients grow with Google Ads.
The difficult part is getting notified of the upcoming courses and getting in.
There are various ways you can do this:
- Reach out to your local Google Ads office. This is tricky because finding a local office generally means that you will need to know in which city the local office is located in order to perform a search that gives you their contact details.
- Create a Google Partners profile with your Gmail address and join the local Google Ads community on Google+. You will need to request access to the group, but your Google Partners profile will be your ticket. Reach out to the Community Moderator and ask if they could point you in the right direction.
- Ask someone you know who’s already working for an agency that is a Google Partner to look out for upcoming training invitations and forward these to you. Register as soon as you receive that email – these classes tend to fill up quite quickly.
On the other hand, if you prefer solidarity whilst learning, Google created an Academy for Ads. This is an e-learning platform. This rich resource will provide you with relevant content in preparation for the various exams. If you’re a seasoned Ads specialist, you can skip through the bits that you know and focus on the parts of the specialisation that are a bit fuzzy.
Each of the courses is mapped out to take approximately 3.5 – 5.5 hours to complete, but this is only if you do every section of the course. I’ve started using this resource more than the others because I get to choose which sections I need to cover simply because I do not use them as often in my day-to-day as others.
Don’t Rush Through It
It may seem tempting to rush through the content quickly, but that is not the best way to prepare for your Google Ads Certification. Take your time and really understand the concepts being taught. A solid understanding of the material will benefit you in the long run.
Get Certified In No Time!
Preparing for a Google Ads Certificate in a short amount of time is possible. But remember, consistency and dedication are key. Make sure to set aside time each day to study and practice, and don’t be afraid to reach out for help or read up on additional resources to help you.
With the right approach, you can ace your exams and become a certified Google Ads specialist in no time!